TechWriters is a Discord community for folks who are semi-seriously writing or creating tech-related content, roughly in the spirit of the Rands Leadership Slack. If you're a frequent blogger, working on a book, publishing a newsletter, we'd love to have you.
Our community in a few bullet points:
We follow our Code of Conduct to participate in this community.
Reach out to
@adminfor enforcement help.
- We mostly talk about writing and distribution. Adjacent topics about creating other kinds of content are good too, e.g. public speaking or an online course.
- If you're not sure whether you're a "semi-serious" content creator, rest assured we're not quite sure what it means either, and you're welcome to join us.
We share what we write in
#done. We sometimes ask for an early set of eyes in
#drafts. We don't ask other members to rebroadcast or distribute our work, and we don't DM folks for draft review unless they've explicitly made that offer.
- We absolutely do not try to sell things to each other.
If you'd like to join, please give us a bit of background and we'll get you an invite.
Code of Conduct
Our Code of Conduct borrows heavily from the Rands Leadership Slack's CoC.
- Be respectful and compassionate. Give grace to others even if takes an effort.
- Avoid demeaning, discriminatory, harassing, hateful, or physically threatening behavior, speech, and imagery.
- Don’t be a bystander. Role model respectful behaviour, but also help to address disrespect when you see it.
- This community is not a public space. However, no one has signed an non-disclosure agreement (“NDA”) to participate, and you should not presume anything you say here will remain private, so act accordingly. Protect IP and legally-protected information.
- If you want to publicly disclose anything discussed here, use the Chatham House Rule as the guideline (“participants are free to use the information received, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of the speaker(s), nor that of any other participant, may be revealed”).
- For attribution of specific content found on this discord server, we ask that you ask the originator of the content for permission. If you don’t receive consent in a reasonable period of time, we ask that you credit the “TechWriters discord community.”
- Different channels have organically developed different personalities. We suggest that before posting in a channel with hundreds of members that you take the time read the room. Read the last couple days of messages, examine the channel topic for hints.
- While this community is designed to help aspects of tehnical writing, and that frequently benefit whatever company or individual a member is currently working for, this is not a place for obvious commercial activities such as recruiting, marketing, or other solicitation, except in channels dedicated to that purpose.
- If the Administrators determine that a human is violating any part of this Code of Conduct, the Administrators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion and exclusion.
Email admins at
Administrators in Discord are:
Changing this website
This website is maintained at lethain:techwriters-dev on Github. Submit a Pull Request and we'll get it merged.